25 July 2006

95 Theses of Geek Activism

Ubergeeks of the world, unite behind these Theses!

(Although I would have picked a better word. Thesis? A hypothetical proposition, especially one put forth without proof? Sheesh. What's wrong with "proposition" or "instruction" or "commandment" or something?)

Geek activism has not taken off yet, but it should. With the gamers recognizing the need for a louder voice, EFF gaining momentum and Linux taking on the mainstream on the one hand and recent severe losses in privacy, freedom of speech and intellectual property rights on the other, now seems to be the best time to rally around the cause.

Geeks are not known to be political or highly vocal (outside of our own circles)- this must change if we want things to improve. So here is my list of things people of all shapes, sizes and sides of the debate need to know. Some of these are obvious, others may not be meant for you. But hopefully, some of these will inspire you to do the right thing and others will help you frame the next discussion, debate or argument you have on these topics.

I've got my EFF "SWAT" Hat on, how about you?

Via Boing Boing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The reason I chose the phrase '95 Theses' has historical precedent; refer to #7 in my 'theses' for an explanation.

thatbaldguy said...

I got it, that was just me trying to be funny. "Trying" being the operative word.

Anonymous said...

Got it- I appreciate the link. I debated between the EFF hat, but the hat is just cooler. Maybe I should get both...