19 July 2006

Artist: Ronald Kurniawan

There's this restaurant in Sliverlake that the Bad Kitty and I used to go to (it's all, like, crowded and junk these days) and they had these great paintings on the wall. They were something like murky, bland motel-room-class landscapes that someone had added monolithic three-dimensional letters to form words and phrases. I was really taken with them on a couple of different levels: the messages were slightly subversive, the juxtaposition of the words in the landscape was surreal, and I'd never seen anything remotely like them.

I don't know if Mr. Kurniawan is the same artist, but his stuff is what I imagine the artist of those other paintings might have evolved into given time and a little gamma radiation. If he is the same artist, I can't wait to see what happens next.

Via the nice people at Drawn!

No comments: