27 July 2006

Time-Tested, Newton Delivers

Those who know me know my obsession strong interest in all things Newton. OK, so, older tech holds a certain fascination with me. I have a whippin'-fast G5 at home, but I'm also bidding on an 80-year-old Underwood typewriter. Luddite? Not me, brother. I just like good tech that works. Like the Newton. Excellent handwriting recognition (it learned my chicken-like scrawl) and a fast StrongARM processor made it indispensable. With a Wi-Fi card, you can take it to your local java pusher and catch up on email and RSS feeds, too.

Oh, right, my point: Recently, CNET.co.uk pitted a 10-year-old Newton 2100 against a Microsoft Windows Origami UMPC. Newton won, baby. Long battery life, a hot sturdy body (on the Newton, silly) and an insanely low price for that amount of tech knocked out the Origamatron in Round 6.

A color screen and a new browser and the Newton will live again! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-*cough *cough. You know how I get.

No comments: